Stick or Twist; What do you Believe?

A Shelfy penned production.

On the back of a painful series of dropped points against Burnley, Chelsea and those who must not be mentioned I thought it about time to look forward.

We have a lot to look forward to, a winnable tie against Dortmund for a place in the last eight of Europes Elite competition this week, a new stadium, maybe next month and the summer transfer window where I am confident we will see some new faces.

I believe Poch has a genuine dilemma with the squad, and I am not talking about the restrictions on foreign players nor the homegrown quota, which do undoubtedly cause making acquisitions more difficult. The dilemma is where do you find better players than we have for a price we can afford (both transfer fee and wages). If you look at our results over the past few years we have been one of the best teams in the PL. Second and third place finishes each year behind a different champion shows a good level of consistency at a high level of performance, we have had more than our fair share of cup semi-finals too. Close but no cigar as they say.

The reason for mentioning recent performance is to highlight that there aren’t many teams doing much better than us. I think in the last three or four years only Man City have accrued more points than us. That means other teams don’t have better players (on the whole) than we do (again not including City), which makes it hard to pick up talented players that are definitely going to make an impact. Sure each team has a star or two (like Zaha at Palace) but realistically we are not going to get players like him in.

Younger players doing well in the lower leagues has been a good source of players for us e.g. Dele but it can be hit and miss. A cases in point that has been discussed recently is that of Ryan Sessengon, Fulham’s wonder kid and the next Gareth Bale, all based on tearing up trees in the championship. Fast forward to today and the poor kid looks just like Bale did when he first joined Spurs and now he can’t even make Fulham’s first team on a regular basis. For every great hope there are many great failures.

So Poch’s dilemma that I speak of is whether to stick or twist. Last Summer ‘stick’ seemed to be a good idea. We had a young but maturing squad who had played some fantastic football in patches and looked like they were developing into world beaters (games against Madrid fall into that category) but of course, as young teams often are, they were not quite consistent enough against the very best teams to pick up silverware. I suspect Poch believed in this group and this group probably believed in themselves and once the post World cup lack of preparation syndrome was out of the way the boys started to fire on all cylinders (6-2 against Everton and a couple of other good thrashings given out around that time and the 3-0 against Dortmund).

Then it went a flat, very flat and last week Poch conceded that we were out of the title race and that is where the dilemma comes in because even if the group is maturing and even if they are getting better as a squad as they spend more time together, I think the belief that they can win the league has gone. Unless we win the Champions league (a long shot that even I don’t really expect – though we have a chance!) then I don’t see how the same group of guys sitting in the locker room in August can believe that they can win the league. They will need to see a couple of new faces that they believe are upgrades on what we had this season or they will be defeated before they start.

Belief has been one of Poch’s mantras, ‘anything is possible in football if you believe’. I don’t I believe that, but I do believe that winning isn’t possible if you don’t believe. The players are not stupid. They have seen the evidence of how far short they are (not very far it is after all ‘fine margins’) and how much progress they have made and can easily figure out if the gap is too big to close next season. In my opinion they would have to ignore reality to believe they could win the league next year, they say doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. So unless of course Poch’s can work his magic (he’s magic you know) and make them believe the new stadium is equivalent to a new signing (which I suppose it might be, after all look how we dominated in our last season at the Lane).

I’m not buying that however, because I think something else has to change if we are to win it all so sticking is not an option this Summer. Even if a couple of players that are really only a small upgrade in standard compared to the ones we already have come in – then the ability to believe, to have hope will be restored.

If we don’t refresh at least a little, we may go backwards because I believe a part of what has propelled us forward and had us punching above our weight is the very same belief that Poch instilled in this group a couple of years ago. Without that belief then that little bit of extra effort to grab a late winner might dissipate and we could be right back to mid table obscurity.

Author: Flat Oeuf

A blog dedicated to aficionados of the chicken badge of Tottenham Hotspur FC, unashamedly revelling in the agony and ecstasy of every moment of every game....no matter who finds themselves fortunate enough, in any given season, to be the stewards, manager or players of the best club in the world. COYFS!

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

405 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Fatty B
Fatty B

AntSpurs 05/03/2019 at 7:51 pm
Everything above has no quote or reply

Quote and reply buttons not working at the moment. No one knows why.

Everything above has no quote or reply

3 years ago

Not one for testing at such an important moment but I only see reply options from your ‘bloke on my stream, to most recent

3 years ago

Easy blood. I saw quotes and reply options across the board. Only had reply options to myself before . When you posted the linkage I clicked reply and then all options disappeared .not sure wah gwan.

Fatty B
Fatty B
3 years ago

The US pundits on my stream are making me bum’ole pucker, and not in a good way. Very embarrassing (the punditing, not the bum’ole puckering). Any one of our Yankies could doodle do better.

Fatty B
Fatty B

AntSpurs 05/03/2019 at 7:43 pm
Hey I handsome reply options, now gone , nice on fats.

Say what now?

3 years ago

Fatty, are you sure its a guy, you can’t always tell these days!

3 years ago

Hey I handsome reply options, now gone , nice on fats.

Fatty B
Fatty B
3 years ago

Bloke on my stream wearing skinny jeans tucked in to ankle high sneakers.

I’m trying to say calm
That’s what the tee shirt said

It’s all a pugatory
Such is the story

3 years ago

If we score the first or the second goal we should be fine.
Otherwise I am up for a very boring nil nil draw

Hartley
Hartley

Give em hell Christian

Give Christian hell Ron.

Which Christian?
There’s is only on the bench!

89Spurs 👁
89Spurs 👁
3 years ago

Harts. With you all the way.

Give em hell Christian

3 years ago

Keep hold of the ball till half half time then open up on em

Hartley
Hartley
3 years ago

A 2-1 win is my prediction so you can rule out that result.

Winks Winks
Say no more
Just score

3 years ago

I’m in for Winks but he has to move the ball the odd time forward…

Hammer them for 15 minutes
They won’t know what hit them
Don’t sit back till later

3 years ago

Keep the ball and quick passing , has to be Winksy for me

3 years ago

Matt, Poch said yesterday that Dier had been out for too long to be match fit enough to start today.

Matt
Matt
3 years ago

I’d have gone Dier rather than Winks. Other than that, the right team IMO.

3 years ago

Only button on display is a reply to me own. Like do me bit for the cause .

3 years ago

Evening yoots of Tottinghams. What a fucking bench, ah that’s lovely, take the weight off me feet. Bag a cans. All I need is a TV and I’m good to go. COYMFS.

Flat Oeuf

Back to normal!

Make sure you same details to sign in across all devices, mate. Sorry you’ve been having trouble.

No worries Flatty. I have been using my normal details on all devices except the last few comments to test Andy’s theory.
Anyway it seems my comments are all been moderated no mater what ID I use.
Enjoy the game my friend!

Sexy Beast
Sexy Beast

Testing testing 123

HD 🇺🇸
HD 🇺🇸
3 years ago

My only concern with our lineup is Davies. Hope he proves me wrong.

SeattleSpursGuy
SeattleSpursGuy
HD 🇺🇸
HD 🇺🇸
3 years ago

Thanks for the pat on the back MiTty. We are all fine. Yes, it has been a rough six week run as winter winds down but as you said Nebraskans are a hearty bunch. We are, however; no more hearty than the average Spurs fan. We go with the flow, roll with the punches, get up when knocked down, etc., etc. I have a good feeling about today’s match. We may not win but we will prevail. Final eight here we come. COYS!

SeattleSpursGuy
SeattleSpursGuy
3 years ago

MiT: “I sincerely believed back then and still maintain the same belief today that selling Walker to City immediately made City stronger, and Spurs immediately weakened.”

Yes, that was exactly my issue. If Walker wanted out and Poch was willing to let him go, then you have to move him on. But to sell to City–a club we’re told are our rivals–one of the league’s best fullbacks, a player who addressed one of the few weaknesses City had, and leaving our own situation worse was an absolute travesty.

Back to normal!

Same name new email

OTS84
OTS84

Old name same email

MiT
MiT

Greetings, TCY –

Hoping you and yours are well. Sounds like you may have escaped south for a portion of a rather tough winter. I would imagine HornDog’s family to have endured a rough period… but rural Nebraskans are some of the most hardy and resourceful people in our corner of the planet. We take them for granted, as we just assume that they are always doing just fine. Must be something in the corn. 🙂

To your Walker/Rose post, of course Spurs were better then.

However, Walker wanted away, and Spurs had no time to mourn or wallow. Many fans did not know what they had until he had been gone a while. However, that loss still has never truly been addressed.

Trippier has always been a hard worker with crossing strength and pace and defensive limitation. Love him, but he always needed a stronger supplement. Aurier has not fully stepped in, and KWP is still in apprentice / vassal mode.

SeattleSpursGuy
SeattleSpursGuy
3 years ago

I think I’d do this tonight:

Lloris
Aurier, Foyth, Alderweireld, Vertonghen
Sissoko, Winks, Dier;
Eriksen; Son, Kane.

Dier shielding the back four, Winks recycling, Serge and Jan getting forward at opportune times.

SpurAndy🍒🥧
Admin
3 years ago

Shelfy, try posting with a different name and if you have one a different email. Might sort the Modrics.

SeattleSpursGuy
SeattleSpursGuy
3 years ago

We’re 3-0 up on aggregate. We’re going to be fine.
We’re 3-0 up on aggregate. We’re going to be fine.
We’re 3-0 up on aggregate. We’re going to be fine. 😅

3 years ago

Composure will be key tonight but how do you stay composed (calm) yet be competitive (aggressive) at the same time. Controlled aggression, not an easy thing to master especially when the adrenaline is pumping.
If they score first how nervous will we be. They will be banking on us being too nervy to perform if we go behind. Our sports psychologist will probably have briefed our players on how to react and what to expect.
The basics are we need to play our normal game where we enerally don’t concede many and we enerally score one or two because today one will almost certainly do.
I don’t expect us to park the bus but I do expect us to be ready for them havin a lot of possession and us bein set up to counter quickly.
Cup games are so much fun!

TCY
TCY

SeattleSpursGuy
TCY 05/03/2019 at 5:49 pm
Can’t see how we f*ck this one up. Life is a learning experience nevertheless. Don’t think I can watch. . . .
That’s the exciting part. There are always new and exciting ways we can f*ck this up. We can f*ck this one up in ways no one has ever imagined.

That’s the charm of the CL, SSG. I’ll never forget a few years back when we beat one of the Milan teams in Milan in a driving rain storm, with Adebayor scoring a late goal sitting on his arse.

Think we came back from three down. That was quite a night.

TCY
TCY
3 years ago

Anybody see Redschnapps’ comments the other day—that Spurs were better 2 years ago, with Bonzo and a healthy Danny Rose on the wings. Not sure he is wrong. Tripp’s and Davies have both disappointed

Chauvelin
Chauvelin
3 years ago

Any news on whether Winks is hors de combat? I didn’t think Victor looked mobile against the Gooners and worry that Poch will have few options tonight. Skipp or Foyth in there with Sissoko maybe?

SeattleSpursGuy
SeattleSpursGuy

TCY 05/03/2019 at 5:49 pm

Chauvelin
Chauvelin

Flat Oeuf

Hartley

Flat Oeuf

Flat Oeuf
I’ve tried 3 other Comments plugins and none of them works that well yet.
It’s a facky windup and no mistake.

Well it’ll do for now but there must be a more recent Plugin that works well, even if it looks different.

Glade do one, and it smells nice too.

Who wudda thunk it? Harts up to date on air fresheners. Mind boggling.

Put one in your pocket. It saves on washing the clothes.

Chauvelin
Chauvelin
3 years ago

TCY. I can see all too easily how we screw it up. Concede an early goal and the crowd noise will be intense. Downhill from there.

It’s absolutely vital we come out and don’t give possession away, we’ve got to play keep ball and manage the game first half. If we can do that…

405
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x